Friday, October 21, 2011

Eliya Shmuel

When I told Danny we were pregnant with Andrew, there was a pregnant pause. I was excited, he was excited, but going through both of our minds was the same thought...things are going to be a changin'.

We didn't talk about the pregnancy alot, let alone what we wanted to name the baby once he/she joined the world. About 14 weeks into the pregnancy, while driving in the car, we gently started the naming conversation.

me: Danny, what names do you like?
Danny (with a sly eye): well, if it's a boy, maybe Alberto Javier Alejandro.
me: huh?

The next conversation, was again in the car:

me: Danny, have you thought anymore about the name?
Danny (again with the sly eye): Well...if it's a boy, Alberto Javier Alejandro Buddafucco Inigo Montoya Geller
me: huh? seriously?
Danny (darn that eye): Of course! Alberto Javier Alejandro because we want him to be an all-star baseball player, and those are the best baseball names; Buddafucco, well I don't know... And; Inigo Montoya because he was a great character from Princess Bride.
me: What about if it's a girl?
Danny: ummm....Bob

We didn't talk much again about the name until it got closer to the due date. What we did know, however, was that we wanted to give the baby, if it was a boy, the Hebrew names of my grandfather (Eliya) on my mom's side, and Danny's grandfather (Shmuel) on his Dad's side.

Jewish tradition says that baby's are named after a family member who has passed away. Not only are you passing a name down, but you are also passing what you remember to be the most beautiful qualities of that person. For me, my Papa, Eli (Eliya), was a gentle soul. Soft spoken and always put family first. Qualities, I am so proud to see come to life in Andrew. For Danny, his Grandpa, Sam (Shmuel) always looked out for those closest to him, family was important, and most important was his faith. Again, qualities that are ever present in Andrew.

You all know the end to the naming story. We didn't go with Alberto Javier Alejandro Buddafucco Inigo Montoya Geller. Although Andrew does love to play baseball, and has watched the Princess Bride a number of times.

No, we went with Andrew Sam (Eliya Shmuel). And we know that while Papa and Grandpa are no longer with us, we hold their memory in our hearts and honor their names through Andrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment