Saturday, January 14, 2012

On the Plains of North Dakota

We're one week outside of the event. So weird. It only proof that the weekend existed is the pile of Bar Mitzvah stuff I need to go through on the dining room table, the dry cleaning I still need to take in, and the stack of thank you notes we are writing out!

So many wonderful memories. Here are the highlights for us!

  • When Danny started his speech at the service, which you remember began with, "On the Plains of North Dakota," his best friends son's eyes lit up (his son is about 10). The little guy looked at his dad, who's from North Dakota, and asked if Danny really just said that!
  • On Saturday afternoon, my cousins Cari, Andi and Pammy (sorry, Pam, all the aunts still call you Pammy), all came over to help me with the finishing touches for the evening event. Our house looked like tornado went through it, which proves family can handle anything! I shlepped them to Party City and to the grocery store. What troopers. Funny, how that became one of my favorite stories from the day!
  • My gramma and her sister and sister in law are the best. And, watching them play bridge in the hospitality room was a huge treat. When I grow up, I want to be just like them. Full of smiles, looking classy and having fun.
  • It goes without saying that having the Bison win the championship as Andrew was being a champion was kismet.
  • For Danny and I, having Rabbi Attegui lead Havdallah was such a wonderful way to celebrate this milestone. He was there when we were kids, he led services in Fargo for the High Holidays and taught me Hebrew on beta tapes. He was one of the officiants at our wedding. He was at Andrew's Bris, and now he helped us celebrate Andrew's Bar Mitzvah.  
  • The look of wonder on the kid's faces during Havdallah was almost romantic. I love that the Rabbi asked them all to join him. I felt the same great feeling that I had when I was at summer camp and participating in Havdallah outside on the beach.
  • Dragging my dear friend Kim Harbinson onto the dance floor to dance the hora was another highlight. Having the chance to share my joy with her was perfect, I'm so proud to call her my friend.
  • Danny had an impromptu moment as well, when he and all his guy friends snuck away for a friendship toast of Crown Royal in the hospitality room.
And so many more that I could be writing for days. There's a TV show that was on in the 70's called the Bob Newhart Show. I used to watch it on TBS in the afternoons. In the 80's, Bob Newhart starred in a new show simplycalled  Newhart where Bob owned and managed a bed and breakfast in New England. When that show came to the end of its run, they showed Bob wake up in his bed on the set of the first show with his wife from the first show. He looked at her and said, "I just had the craziest dream."

That's how I feel. Like I'm going to wake up before Danny and I had kids, look at him and say, "I just had the craziest dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment