Monday, January 9, 2012

Adventures of Super D

They came, they celebrated, they left.

It now all feels like a dream, but I promise to share some of the most vivid memories and missteps with you over these final, post-event posts.

There are always a few crazy stories that come out of an event. When the story is live it's not always so funny. Give it a few days to marinate, and hopefully the humor emerges and everyone can share a laugh.

If I had to predict, I would have thought the stories coming out of our event would have been weather related. Snowed in, snowed out, frozen to the bone. No worries on this topic, the weather cooperated and was down-right balmy.

No, our stories all revolved around transportation. Not breakdowns, not delays, just misplacement. They say the devil is in the details, and I should have thought of that when I signed the contract with the shuttle service that would take my family to and from the synagogue. It said pick up at Crown Plaza Hotel, yep good. So how come the bus wasn't there at 5 p.m. or 5: 15 p.m.?

What do they teach you in first grade? Always read the ENTIRE sentence. Oh... The shuttle did arrive at the scheduled location, which was the downtown Minneapolis Crown Plaza hotel, not at the Plymouth Crown Plaza. Had a read just a few centimeters further I would have noticed that they had the wrong address. BIG Oops. Did I mention it was now 5:30 p.m., at the height of rush hour traffic? Oh, and the driver thought it would take about a half hour to get from downtown to the hotel?

Thirty-five people waiting in the hotel lobby. About 30 minutes to spare before services start. How in the world are we going to get this group to services?

Enter Super D!

If my husband was a super hero, he would be Super D, as in "Danny". Able to solve logistical crisis in a single bound, his mind is the master when it comes to getting people from point A to point B.

Super D has safely delivered me to destinations during my lowest moments. Whether it's getting lost going from Plymouth to a birthday party -- Super D and his supersonic navigation gets me to where I need to be within minutes.

Super D has always been well ahead of the GPS technology. He not only has super navigation skills, but patience. He manages hysteria, confusion and outright frustration with a calm voice and a kind word. About 10 years ago, I was lost on an turnpike in New Jersey. Super D logged onto Google maps and safely guided me from Philadelphia to Vineland.

Once again Super D donned his cape, and swiftly corralled cars to get everyone from the hotel to Adath. Andrew got there right on time, and the others were only a few minutes late. Everyone was in attendance when Andrew led the service. Danny was the last to walk into the chapel. Calm as a cucumber. Similar to other classic super heroes, he arrived completely returned to his civilian self.

So if asked what super hero I would most want my son to be, I would easily say Super D. He knows where he's going! And as hysterical as I get, I love that he gets us there.

No comments:

Post a Comment