Saturday, December 10, 2011

What NOT? To Wear

Ever have the dream where you wake up and you realize you slept through your alarm, and you're scheduled to take a final college exam of which class you haven't attended all quarter, and you rush out the door realizing you don't know which building or floor the class is held, and without a lot of good judgment you decide that finding a shirt to wear isn't necessary, since you are so late....ummm....you haven't had that dream? Well....umm...okay.

I have.

I don't dare ask Andrew if he's having similar dreams as he thinks about getting up to read Torah. So, rather than asking him. I figure it's time to go shopping for his official Bar Mitzvah wardrobe.

I didn't budget for a family stylist. So, to gather ideas, I've been secretly stealing glances at the kids delivering their parshat on Saturday morning, as well as those kids and adults attending. Come on, we all do it. We all take a few mental notes as we get prepared for our own events. Of course going to services is a religious experience, but those few months leading up to your own event are truly recognisance missions.

With mental notes relayed, sizes in hand, boy in tow, Danny takes Andrew and embarks on a father-son bonding mission to get a well-fitted suit. I got the cliff notes of their trip:



  • Really nice guy waited on them


  • Guy knew exactly what they would like, and quickly brought over options


  • Andrew picked out what he liked, and it's now in for tailoring, with room to grow


  • The guys came home with a bag that carried two ties - one for Friday and one for Saturday -- the suit will be ready well before the big day


Andrew is outfitted to look like a man, and Danny tells me he looks like a mentsch (Yiddish for clean cut, well behaved young man). While I don't know "who" he's wearing, I do know it's a pinstripe blue suit.

So now on to dress the rest of the family. Friday night is Shabbas Sheik, which means conservative and comfortable. I'll probably wear a skirt, Danny, Andrew and Jordan a suit. If only someone would invent the dress- up snuggy (that blanket thing with sleeves). I find that Friday's are a day when I want to curl up with the boys, watch a movie and stare into space. Our friend Scot and I refer to this far away, sometimes absent look as Friday face. But, alas the dress- up snuggy is not to be.

Saturday morning, again is conservative and comfortable. I'm close to finding an outfit. Either I'll wear a suit, or a cozy sweater dress. Danny, Andrew and Jordan will all be in suits. Guys have it so easy!

Saturday night is dressy casual. To which I would normally say, what the heck does that mean? Well, if I had to define it, I would say it's not so formal that you need to wear an evening gown, but not so casual that you could get away with jeans. Danny will probably wear dress pants and a sports coat, the verdict is still out for Andrew and Jordan, but it will probably be dress pants and a funky dressy shirt. Jordan usually wears his signature pageboy hat, but we'll see where the wind takes him.

Sunday morning? Ultra casual. Funny, though, because I'm looking to buy a nice sweat outfit. I say funny, because by describing the attire as ultra casual you would think this wouldn't prompt me to go in search for an outfit. Not exactly, but there is not need to dress on ceremony for this meal.

So there you have it. Hopefully, the Geller family will be well outfitted, which will encourage us all to sleep restfully with dreams where we are on time, prepared, in the right placed, and fully clothed.

Lila Tov (Good night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment