Sunday, December 4, 2011

If I were a rich (wo)MAN

A few years ago, Andrew asked if we were rich. I asked him, what do you mean? He said, well one of my friends says we must be really rich because we have a Computer and a PlayStation. I thought about this for a minute. And then decided to reply, no...we just really like to collect things with screens.

But I got to thinking about his question. What truly makes a person rich? I've met "wealthy" people whose hearts have been foreclosed on by friends or family. I've met many "poor" people who live life to the fullest by enjoying the gifts of friendship and love.

If I had that moment back. If Andrew asked me that question again. I'd simply say, yes. We are exceptionally rich. Rich with love, family and friends.

I've never felt wealthier than I do today as the RSVPs make their way back to us in the mail. To know that family and friends from across the country are making the trek, is more than humbling.

Here are a few of the highlights:


  • Our New Jersey cousins added the Bar Mitzvah to their honeymoon itinerary. Note that they start out in the Bahamas!

  • My cousin Jessica is coming in a day early to schlepp around with us! We are thrilled to have her!

  • My cousin Ryan in Denver is doing bench presses in preparation for lifting the Torah -- well, I don't know that he's really weight training, but we are so happy to have him do the honor!

  • One of our dearest friends told us they were supposed to be in China for work, and that they rearranged the trip so they could be at our event.

  • We are grateful for our family in Canada who are going to drive down for our event!

  • While not everyone is able to be at our simcha (Hebrew for event), they will be there in spirit!

So yes, we are rich. We are exceptionally rich. We have a family who loves us, forever friends whom we can count on and who hopefully know that they can always count on us, and we have each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment