Sunday, November 20, 2011

DIY -- invitations

Invitations are more than information on a page. They set the tone. They set the scene. They give permission. I asked Andrew what he wanted, and his reply was simple. Just send out a note that says you're invited. Hope you can come.

This invitation will be more detailed than an evite, but less regal than a royal wedding. In fact, I've decided to take the frugal approach and make my own. (...which you are about to learn is a comic event in itself.)

Poor Andrew. While I'm a very doting parent, I never created scrapbooks or took a lot of pictures over these past 12 years. Thankfully, Danny has! As you are probably realizing, I'm channeling those 12 years of memories into this blog...and the invitation.

Say what you will, with what you end up receiving, but I wouldn't trade in this DIY (do it yourself) experience. Here's how I approached the process.
1. Colors -- As you may remember, colors are a bit of a sore subject with me. (see "It's all about..." post ). So in order to figure out the what colors to go with I drew inspiration from Andrew's new Tallis that his grandma and Bumpa, Esther and Mike bought for him. Ironically, there's a lot of blue.

2. Design elements -- Should it fold? Should it have an envelope for the envelope? Should the RSVP be completed via email, or should I include a card to mail in. How many versions should be created? In town guests, out-of-town guests, Friday night dinner, the service, the party. Is an invite necessary for Sunday brunch. Should I include the card from the hotel? Am I'm driving you crazy yet with all my questions?

3. Do I order, or do I make them myself? -- Loving, caring, inclusive. These are all words that describe me. Patient, perfectionist, passive. These words? Not so much. So making my own invitations has become a group effort. My mom came with me to help cut out the invitations and the stars. Many have read and proofed what I wrote as well as assembled and glued. Let me tell you, it doesn't only take a village to raise a child!

4. How long does it really take to make them myself? --
The process to get these invitations out has been more comic than convenient. And, I'm only admitting this to you...it's a bit of a potchka (Yiddish I think for clumsy, not so easy to do). For example... After using what I thought was the 'glue tape' dispenser to stick on the stars, I realized I was using the refill packet, not the dispenser. No wonder the tape wasn't working so well!

5. Reality has met the road
Ironically, of all the planning I've been doing, getting these invitations ready to send has been the hardest. Even writing this post has taken me most of the week! Later this week these handcrafted creations will be mailed, which means this milestone is is no longer a plan, but rather a party!

No comments:

Post a Comment